What is core spun yarn?
We all look for that one perfect pair of jeans in our wardrobes.
What makes it irreplaceable for us is its fit, comfort and durable.
And not just that. Today, we can find denim in multiple industries, such as home decor, stationery pieces, and car furnishing. We have witnessed denim go from non-stretchable cotton fabric to highly flexible and comfortable core-spun denim. Yes, that’s right. Pure denim is a hundred percent cotton fabric. Remember the jeans from the early 2000s?
The use of core-spun yarns in denim made denim more flexible and expanded its applications across industries. Then what is core spun yarn?
It has two components. The inner component is a core made of continuous filament yarn, usually spandex or DTY filament, and an outer spun yarn sheath covering the yarn core. The use of spandex as the yarn core imparts sought-after properties such as stretchability, durability, better resistance against breakage and so on.
Difference between Core spun yarn and Covered yarn.
Core spun yarn and covered yarn are similar, so it’s easy to make people confused.
Actually they’re easy to tell: covered yarns are core–wrap yarns consist of core filament(s) wrapped or covered by a yarn. And a readily separable core surrounded by fibers or fiber strands is core spun yarn.
Production of core- spun yarns
Core spun yarn can be formed successfully by many spinning methods each of which has structures with its own conveniences and difficulties. For example, conventional ring spinning is a considerably artless and economical process in this respect. But it has difficulty regarding core positioning at the center and the possibility of the significant strip back at the following processes. The practicable methods of core-spun yarn production are discussed below.
Ring Core-spun yarn properties
The ring core-spun yarn is manufactured by the ring-spinning technique. It is a conventional ring frame with suitable modifications used for core spinning. The structure of ring-spun yarns gives them visual, tactile, aesthetic, and elastic fabric properties suitable for a wide range of end uses. The advantage of ring core yarn is the core yarn can give additional properties to above mentioned resulting in better functionality.
Rotor spinning system
The rotation of the rotor wraps the yarn arm around the continuous filament core is the manufacturing method of this system. A minimum pre- tension is necessary to avoid filament flung out into the rotor collecting surface. The core is not twisted during the process; it is economical to produce coarse core spun yarn through rotor machine than the ring core spun yarn. The rotor spun core-spun yarns tend to be more uniform in appearance and in linear density
Friction spinning system
In friction spinning system, the fibers are individually collected and twisted to form a yarn. A wide range of staple length can be processed by this system and the core spun yarn manufactured from this method has the same impact.
MJS spinning system
Airjet spinning system could be used for manufacturing core yarns after improving process constraints. A comparatively higher first nozzle weight is advantageous for improving sheath- slippage resistance. The use of advanced spinning speed and broader condenser noticeably improves the tenacity, breaking extension, initial modulus and sheath slippage resistance which affect the yarn hairiness, mass irregularity and flexural rigidity in the core –spun yarns. So the properties will reflect those in the end use product.
Applications of core spun yarns:
- Woven corduroy fabric and stretchable denim made from elastomeric core/staple-fiber wrap yarns made from spandex and cotton.
- Some bed sheets and knit fabrics made from core-spun yarns with polyester filament core and a sheath of combed cotton fibers. The advantages of these products are high strength and durability provided by the polyester filament and comfort characteristics provided by the cotton sheath.
- Some sewing threads made from polyester core/cotton wrap fibers by plying and twisting together two core/sheath yarns.
- Some cotton-knit swimsuits made from spandex core and cotton fiber wrap to provide better fit using a very small amount of spandex (as little as 1%). This yields the traditional performance of fabrics made from spun yarns with the additional advantages of good elongation and elastic recovery provided by the spandex component.
- Some secondary carpet backing made from polypropylene split or tape core/polypropylene fiber wrap.
- Flame-retardant and protective clothing made from fiberglass filament core/aramid fibers wrap and carbon core/aramid fiber wrap.
- Protective gloves made with steel wire surrounded by aramid fiber blends.
Regular core spun yarns in Hikingtex:
Functional and Innovations in core spun yarn
Functional and Innovative Core Spun Yarn is new trend in textile industry.
a. With functional outer staple:
Hikingtex applied different functional fibers in core spun yarn, such as anti-bacterial cotton, hemp, wool/cashmere, moisture-wicking polyester, cool feeling polyester, thermal polyester, anti-bacterial polyester, etc.
b. Different core spinning methods:
Single core spun yarn, dual core spun yarn and triple core spun yarn are all available in Hikingtex as well as ring core spun, siro core spun and siro-compact core spun.
Dual core spun yarns and triple core spun yarns can provide body movement comfort, allow freedom of movement, reduce burden and body shaping.
If any questions or requirements, welcome to us.